Upwey Primary School has had a long term involvement in Sustainability. From Kay Rowles’ involvement with the Gould League in the 80’s right up to our current involvement in the ResourceSmart Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative Victoria (AuSSI Vic) program. We have a commitment to reducing the school’s carbon footprint and our impact on the natural environment.
Here are a few of our achievements over the years.
- 2012 Rubbish output reduced by 50%
- 2011 First Star achieved in the ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic 5Star Sustainability Certification
- More than an acre preserved for an Indigenous Wildlife area (The Sanctuary)
- Rubbish Free Lunch Program
- Composting program
- Veggie Garden
- Water Tanks
- Incorporation of sustainability into all areas of the curriculum
- Long Term Environmental Management Plan implemented